Thursday, May 6, 2010

Selection from The Quilters


Hey there. Just wanted to share an image of a quilt from the thirties that I have hanging in my bedroom.

And a bit from an interview with a Texas quiltmaker:

"Mama was a beautiful quilter. She done the best work in the county. Everybody knew it. She never let anybody else touch her quilts; and sometimes when she was through quiltin' for the day on a job that she liked a lot herself, she would pin a cloth over the top of the quilt so nobody could look at it until she was done.
I always longed to work with her and I can tell you how plain I recall the day she said, "Sarah, you come quilt with me now if you want to."
I was too short to sit in a chair and reach it, so I got my needle and thread and stood beside her. I put that needle through and pulled it back up again, then down, and my stitches were about three inches long. Papa came in about that time, he stepped back and said, "Florence that child is flat ruinin' your quilt."
Mama said, "She's doin' no kind of a thing. She's quiltin' her first quilt."
He said, "Well, you're jest goin' to have to rip it all out tonight."
Mama smiled at me and said, "Them stitches is going to be in that quilt when it wears out."
All that time they was talkin' my stitches was gettin' shorter.
That was my first quilt. I have it still to look at sometimes."

From: Patricia Cooper and Norma Bradley Buferd. The Quilters.Women and Domestic Art. Doubleday&Company, Inc. 1978

1 comment:

  1. That's such a nice story. I can't read anything about mothers and daughters without feeling overwrought. I know my limitations so now I just stay away but it sounds like an engaging read.

    ReplyDelete