Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Easy rayon peasant top






So, my main idea for tops for spring is that they be loose, unstructured, and have interesting patterns. My friends and I were talking about our reluctance to start wearing the skinny jean. For one thing, we're not teenagers. I think they also come with a whole mess of fashion questions- namely, "what shoes go with that?" and "how do I cover the top part?" since that is not what I need people to see. The good part of the skinny jean thing is that I can taper my jeans that already have a little stretch, and I can then control the taper and they'll be long enough. I already like the part about the loose flowy top to go with. Here's one attempt at a top like that:
(I'm using an old seventies pattern for the peasant top, but you can find one in any pattern book these days. Just make sure the neckline is cut low enough- I don't see the point of the high neck.)

I have tried this peasant top in a printed light cotton and I find it sticks out a bit and really looks homemade. I much prefer a drapey rayon or something with a fluid hand. In addition, I recommend adding some fullness by laying both the front and back pattern pieces a few inches away from the fold in order to have a few more inches to gather in to the top. If your fabric is drapey enough, this does not look bulky and actually builds in a few more vertical folds to fall from a nice low neckline. this is one quick sew up and that is satifying. It allows you to just buy cool fabric and work it up. I'm going to do a few more, if I can find the right fabric.

Add Image





1 comment:

  1. What, you're afraid of a little muffin top? :) I don't see myself ever a) shopping for new jeans b) giving up the boot cut. I'll always be hopelessly outdated. Sometimes I think about perusing a fashion magazine but I know my limitations.

    ReplyDelete