Monday, May 17, 2010

Inspiration for new tops

I wanted to show some fabrics I've obtained recently from the thrift store that are soon to become garments. The multicolored stripe on the left is a cotton tablecloth that will be made into a blouse and the fine poly (with a very silky hand) on the right will become a dress made from a vintage 40's pattern.

Below I show some crocheted and tatted pieces as well as some lace. I got these at the most recent Nearly New Sale at GBMC here in Baltimore. This sale takes place twice a year (Spring and Fall) and is an enormous tag sale. It's such fun. If you're around here and like vintage or digging through junk, do go.
Most of this lace will end up on the front of blouses. Stay tuned.

Below I show how I have used crocheted pieces and cross-stitched bird (thrifted) to liven up some blouses I've made. I don't have the crochet skills or the time, but I love the look of handwork and the delicate quality of the lace, so if I find a good deal on it, I buy it and design a top around it. I find if you seal the edges in seam binding and hand tack the rest to the shirt, it works well. Hope you find this inspiring.





3 comments:

  1. Oh, I had so much fun the last time we went to that! I didn't know it was twice a year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! And I have the ad for next fall. Let's make it a date and go together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh...you can use some of that lace on a skirt like we saw at the store the other day :) love the blog!!!

    ReplyDelete