Wednesday, May 12, 2010

More quilt talk and one of my own (a start)

So, I got started on this quilt, after seeing one with this pattern from 1875 in a book. It's called Windmill Blades. I just wanted to figure out how to do it, so I started. It's working, even without a pattern to follow, but it's so time consuming! I keep thinking, "I could have made three shirts by now!" Anyhow, I'm not quilting it. It's going on the wall, so it will just be pieced (if I manage to stay with it).

I include a bit more from The Quilters. Women and Domestic Art. An Oral History by Patricia Cooper and Norma Bradley Buford (p. 39):
"My husband tells about the time he got sick with the measles. He was six years old. His mother set him to piecing a quilt and every other block he set in red polka-dot pattern. Said it was his measles quilt. He wouldn't like me to tell it now I know. But lots of cold nights when I'm at the quiltin' frame on one side of the fire, he pulls his big old chair up on the other side and cuts pieces for me. He's even done a bit of piecin' from time to time.
It's a sight, that big old long-legged man with his boot toes turned in to make a lap to do his piecework on.
We've got a fair long road from the highway and three loud dogs out there. They all always sound off when somebody turns up our road. And let me tell you, he can git rid of that work quicker that a gnat can bat an eye, when those dogs commence to barkin'.
Plumb tickles me."

Aren't these women fantastic? and funny?

2 comments:

  1. One day I'll start working on a lovely quilt just for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilter stories and quilt you're working on-will look forward to seeing it finished

    ReplyDelete